Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Looking to the Future and a Glance of 2012

"With a future so bright I have to wear shades!"  It hasn't been an easy journey that's for sure, but a journey well worth the travel!  2012 was fun but I am looking to 2013 with much anticipation!  I will get my AA degree this year, I shall meet our newest addition, and hopefully start working toward my Bachelor's degree.  What an exciting year indeed!

However, 2012 also brought heartache...  Especially the month of December...  With the shooting at Sandy Hook and the death of a great man.  So when the shootings took place I was at home with my husband.  We were cleaning up the house and repainting rooms when we heard the news.  As a mother of an elementary student I burst into tears.  I can only imagine the heartache and the turmoil that the parents and families must have felt!  How truly horrific!  I know at least 8 elementary students off hand, which most are family and friends...  When you drop your child off at school you don't think about someone showing up to shoot innocent children...  So horrific...  There are no words to describe...  My heart, my prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy.

Among the deaths in 2012 a great man died of cancer.  He was the first person to teach me CPR and first aid, he drove the youth to their activities, and he also took us on our hikes for young women and young men.  He was a patient man who never passed up the opportunity to bear his testimony, to let his family know how much he loved them, and he was selfless!  When my son overdosed on medicine I was such a wreck and so we called the ward and they got a hold of Brother Kumbera.  He was in the middle of dinner and enjoying time with family and friends when he got the call.  Without hesitation he showed up at the hospital and gave Kevin a blessing.  I was/am beyond thankful for that!  He always talked to the youth and had a great sense of humor.  He also spoke at Brian's Eagle Scout Badge Court of Honor.  I hope he knows that I am just one of the many people whose lives were touched by his existence!  He was/is a great man!  He shall be missed by all who knew him.  Thank you, Brother Kumbera for being you!  May you rest in peace until we meet again!

So what shall my goals be for 2013?  I know at the top is to eat healthy for two, to pass my classes, and to see what I have to do to get into Stetson University.  I know it's an uphill struggle but I remain positive at my choice to major in Psychology.  I have always been interested in why people turn out the way they do, why they make certain decisions, and as I have come from a dark past I only want to help those who are struggling.  So I will meet my challenges, my fears head on and I will be stronger and a better person for that.    So again I say "with a future so bright I have to wear shades!"


Looking back: The three of us at Disney Quest in January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment