Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 23 - Jon Gleason

Today marks his 30th birthday... So 12 years ago he was taken from us... It never gets easier. He was a great guy and a good friend. All he wanted to do was make the world a better place.

He was known for cheering up the sad, being the class clown, giving money to those that needed it, his love of music, and his love for animals. He taught himself Portuguese, how to play guitar, and he loved to play the piano as well.

I knew him and his family through church, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He and his family were one of those that I looked forward to seeing every Sunday. Jon always had a smile on his face and always wanted to make those around him smile too. He was a very caring and sweet young man.

He was taken from us 12 years ago during what is now known as the Xbox murders. He wasn't 18 yet and had big dreams for the future. He wanted to vote and he wanted to work in the medical field. My heart is filled with sadness as he was not able to accomplish these goals. I'm saddened that his life came to an abrupt end at the hands of violence. I will never understand this heinous act or those four people who decided to break into the house and kill him and five others 😭

Jon was a dreamer and a giver. One of his favorite songs was John Lennon's "Imagine". He was known to befriend those who needed a friend, regardless of their social status, and give a voice to those who didn't have one, such as animals. Jon was a vegan.

Every day I'm grateful that I got the chance to know you, Jon. I wish your death wasn't so soon and that you didn't die the way you did... At the hands of violence. You had a beautiful life and accomplished more in your 17 years than most people... You also were and are loved by many. My thoughts are with you and your family this day. I'd like to think you're still watching us, still with us, and proud of your family and friends for their accomplishments. I wish your life had been longer so you could take it all in and rejoice with us; but also so that all of your dreams could have come true.

Thank you, Jon for the memories. I'm grateful for you. Every day. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment